Saturday, September 8, 2012

Songwriting Circles - A Need For Creative society

My best songs have come from the ashes of criticism. The songs that I feel are the tightest and most crafted are the ones that have been scrutinized and raked through by other songwriters. Artists who are my peers and who I trust will always give me their best guidance because in analyzing others' work they are, in reality, analyzing their own. Also I am about to do the same with their songs and they know that I won't hold back. This happens on a monthly basis accompanied by beer and chips - I'm talking about a songwriter's circle.

I formed my first songwriter's circle in Nyc in the late 90's. I was just learning about what real songwriting was all about. The true craft of melding words and music was harder than it looked. I had a background in composition, but more of the classical kind - art-house quartets and piano fantasies. I always had an attitude that the pop songs I penned were my bastard children; taken out only once in a while when a large supply of alcohol was gift or when I needed to impress a girl. How wrong I was. Writing a good, solid, well-crafted song is hard.

I was to fall in with theater folk after writing incidental music for Much Ado About Nothing. Among the actors there were some who also thought about themselves singer-songwriters. We spoke about song writing and acting and music and at last formed a circle so that we could critique our newer songs and work on the craft. I belief I'd be the know-it-all of the group because I had a master's degree in music and they were just, well just actors. Wrong again. Their familiarity with words and verse structure was key and what they had to say about my songs made me pause. I could no ifs ands or buts see what they meant when they recommend I get rid of the extra verse, use a separate tense, shuffle the bridge further down and so on.

While I did think about those things as I wrote, it was way more helpful to have a group of ears listen and then debate. Our critiques were not always suitable by every person and often the writer would disagree. But that was the whole point. Even if there was disagreement the critique was voiced and could be applied at a later date to a separate song.

So what is the rationale for creating a songwriter's group also getting good feedback? Are there parallels in the firm world that we can look at? I turn to my wife the entrepreneur. She has taken her home based firm through assorted stages of increase that have resulted in higher sales at each level. When ever she feels like she is sitting in still waters she will form a "master-mind group": an alliance of habitancy dedicated to achieving a goal. The benefits for a firm oriented group are the same for an arts related group:

1. A group of habitancy to help you effect
2. The benefit of differing perspectives, input and feedback
3. Resources and connections to the table you might not have had on your own
4. Responsibility and inspiration from the group

So not only will you get good critiques on your songs, there is also the idea that the group will function as a creative support. Let's help each other find gigs, get a Pa, book a tour, article a song, etc.

We moved out of Nyc about five years ago and I've sorely missed the association to my artistic friends. Not to say there are no artists out in the backwoods of Connecticut, but you have to drive a lot and we're not all smooshed into the same areas like the Lower East side or Williamsburg. But recently a few musical friends have moved in this direction after having started a house and we've reconnected via the local coffeehouse circuit. After attending a friend's gig and finding out that there were a few of us out here, we decided to get together and share new songs. That's how my most recent circle was born.

We meet on a Sunday afternoon at one of our homes, bring beer and chips, guitars, lyrics and a willingness to listen intelligently and intently. We pop a beer, tune the guitars and then someone will say - Let me play you what I've been working on... The argument ensues.

One of us is resurrecting an old band that may have a new lease on life and he wants to tweak the old songs and write some new ones. Other is working on getting back into the songwriting mode, but is also an asset because of his keen ear and potential to see things five separate ways on the spot. A third is finding to develop his catalog of songs and play out more. And me? I'm trying to write more consistently and with more of a craftsman-like approach and the circle is my incentive to have a new song ready each month.

The group is a lot like a band, but without the pressures or performing as a unit. We have camaraderie, mutual respect and we get to play together. Our most recent idea is for us to take the circle to a live venue and gift our wok to an audience. Like a guitar pull or songwriters in the round, we'll go nearby the group and play and talk about our songs and hopefully ask the audience to chime in if the need arises.

I know that this most recent circle that I am complicated in has done wonders for my new songs. Do you know other writers that would be able to form a circle with you? Do you think that you would benefit from this type of group therapy? Well all you have to do is ask and then pick up your guitar.

on front page Songwriting Circles - A Need For Creative society on front page


No comments:

Post a Comment